Thursday, December 15, 2005

What Redemption Sounds Like

Larry Elder discussed Tookie's plight recently. The money quote:

Williams' life inspired the movie called "Redemption." But a truly redeemed Williams would have said: "This is what happens. This is where you end up when you think the rules do not apply to you; when, because of anger and rage, you kill innocent people. I accept responsibility for what I did. I apologize to the family members. Please understand that I was not a victim of a racist, unfair criminal justice system, and I urge all criminals to first look into the mirror before blaming the police, the judges, the system. I made choices that put me here. The lesson of my life is -- no matter your circumstances, your race, your class -- you are responsible for making proper moral decisions. It is your duty to do so."

That's redemption.

He also discusses the NAACP's selective outrage over the death penalty. A good read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home